Learn how to send out a survey to collect input from employees when selecting competencies
In this article:
The Competency Profiler collects input from employees when selecting competencies. Once complete, you can automatically update jobs with the survey results. Using the survey tool is also a great way to document your competency profiling process. Add comment boxes to capture the rationale behind competency selections, create on-screen instructions and email invitations to send to participants, and set a due date for survey submissions.
How competency profile surveys work
- Create: An administrator creates a shortlist of competencies (the survey).
- Dispatch: The survey is sent to users. One is the reviewer and the others are contributors.
- Submit: The contributors submit their responses to the reviewer.
- Validate: The reviewer makes a final selection to validate the survey.
- Publish: The administrator publishes the results to update jobs with selected competencies.
Creating and dispatching a competency profile survey
- Navigate to Content > Libraries and select Competencies in the drop-down.
- Click the 3-dot icon on the top right of the page.
- Select Competency Profiler in the drop-down.
- Click Create on the top right of the page.
- Enter a name and invitation message which are included in the email sent to participants.
- Enter an introduction that appears when participants first open the survey. Click Next.
- Select Core, Job Family, or Job Specific in the Survey Type drop-down.
- Enter the minimum and maximum number of competencies participants can select.
- Select whether to pre-populate the survey with previously published competencies.
- Select whether to make comments mandatory.
- For job specific surveys, select whether to include proficiency levels and click Next.
- Click Add Competencies. Select competencies, close the window, and click Next.
- Click Add Participants. Select users to participate, close the window, and click Next.
- Select the participant who will be the reviewer or select Make me the reviewer. Click Next.
- Select Dispatch now or select a start date.
- Select the Basic dispatch mode.
- Select a due date for contributors.
- Click Dispatch to email a survey link to participants.
Note: If you selected Dispatch now, they’ll receive the email within 15 minutes. If you selected a start date, they’ll receive an email on that date.