Learn how to create a plan template that you can dispatch to employees and their managers
In this article:
A development plan is a customizable collections of goals. Goals can be based on competencies, like moving up to level 2 in Client Focus, or they can be general, like aiming to read five books. Employees can set due dates, involve their manager, and document their progress as they improve their competency proficiency and fill gaps in their profile.
Employees can create their own personal plan and managers can create a plan for their employees from My Team. But as an administrator, you can also assign a plan to a group of employees and their managers by creating and dispatching a plan template.
Creating a plan template
A template is a reusable plan that can be dispatched multiple times. You can create a generic template that applies to multiple jobs, or a template that’s specific to one job.
- Navigate to Development > Manage Templates.
- Click Create Template on the top right of the page.
- Enter a name for the template. It’s used as the title for all plans dispatched from this template until the plan manager edits the title.
- Select the Development Plan or the Advanced Development Plan type:
- Development Plan: For self-driven development.
- One-stage cycle.
- No rating scale or scoring.
- Competency goals only.
- Advanced Development Plan: For organization-wide employee development.
- Three-stage cycle: Set Goals, Ongoing Review and Feedback, and Final Review.
- Standard scoring: The manager selects a level from the Performance scale.
- Two goal types: Competency goals and custom goals.
- Select the Generic option to use this template with plans for multiple jobs.
- Type in the name of a job and select the job when it shows up in the drop-down.
- Click the Add New button and select a goal option. Fill in the goal details and due dates.
- Click the 3-dot icon at the top of the page and select Publish so the template can be dispatched.
Dispatching a plan (template)
- Navigate to Development > New Dispatch.
- Select the Plans Select Development Plan as the dispatch type and click Next.
- Expand a group in the index and select a job. Select a template to dispatch and click Next.
- Select the subject of the plan. To select a user not assigned to the job, click Select users.
- Select the cycle to use on the plan and click Next.
- Select the manager. To select a different user as the manager, click Select users. Click Next.
- Click the pencil icon to edit a dispatch message. Changes only apply to this dispatch.
- Select Dispatch Now or click the calendar icon to select a send date and a due date.
- Turn on the switch for each group where you want to give access to the plan. Click Confirm.
- Click Finish Dispatch. If you selected Dispatch Now, your assessment is sent to the subjects and managers. If you selected a send date, navigate to Development > Unsent Dispatches and you’ll see your dispatch listed in the Scheduled for Dispatch table.